Is your teenager suffering from FOMO?

FOMO or the “Fear Of Missing Out”, is a psychological addiction where the fear of missing out on something (or somebody) more interesting, exciting or better than what you’re doing becomes all-consuming. It’s why some people always want to move on to the next party, simply because it might be better than this one.

According to a recent survey, about 40% of people aged 13 – 67 say that social media has increased their fear of missing out. Social media FOMO is triggered by the constant updates of what your friends are doing, rapid changing trends and the spread of the latest online content. Here at The Assisted Learning Centre, we want to find out how bad this epidemic is and if your teenager is one of the sufferers?

CHECKING YOURSELF FOR TOO MUCH FOMO

Does your teenager ever hold off on committing to plans until they’ve heard all your option, simply so that they can choose the most exciting one? Do they even assume their friends are living a better life because of their profile page or tweets? If you’ve answered yes, then they may be suffering from FOMO.

Your teenager might have a case of FOMO if:

-- They’re at home and they can’t stop checking their phone for messages, tweets and status updates.

-- They’re at a party and they’re messaging friends who aren’t at the party and browsing through social media sites.

-- They’re at the store and they’re having a bad time deciding what to buy as something cooler could always come along later.

WHO’S GOT IT?

From high school students to retired senior citizens, social media users are watching their friends and family have a good time, and its making them anxious, especially males!

“When I see some of my friends or peers are doing something and I’m not”
-- 38% Males
-- 26% Females

“When I see that my friends or peers are buying something that I’m not”
-- 26% Males
-- 13% Females

“When I see that my friends or peers find out about something before I do”
-- 31% Males
-- 20% Females

Unsurprisingly, the effects of social media FOMO have resonated more in younger demographics:

“I can completely or somewhat relate to the idea of FOMO”
-- 65% Teens
-- 70% Young adults
-- 51% Adults
-- 34% Seniors

“I experience FOMO often or sometimes”
-- 40% Teens
-- 36% Young adults
-- 25% Adults
-- 11% Seniors

HOW BADLY DO THEY HAVE IT?

Even though the younger generation is known for taking full advantage of the FOMO epidemic, it is still not just the millennial social media users who have the fear of missing out.

“I often spread myself too thing for fear of missing out”
-- 41% Teens
-- 58% Young adults
-- 44% Adults
-- 28% Seniors

“I get uneasy or nervous when I learn through social media that some of my friends are doing something I’m not”
-- 47% Teens
-- 44% Young adults
-- 32% Adults
-- 11% Seniors

“It’s important that my Facebook, Twitter or any other social media profiles convey a certain image of me”
-- 63% Teens
-- 67% Young Adults
-- 57% Adults
-- 41% Seniors

WHAT ELSE CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT?


During the survey the monthly average minutes per person was tallied up for popular social meda sites. As it is much easier for your teenager to combat FOMO if they leave their house for an experience, here are some cool, fun ways they could’ve better spent their time out and about.

Facebook 405 minutes
-- Could’ve attended: 1 concert, 1 theatre performance and 1 sporting event

Tumblr 89 minutes
-- Could’ve attended: 3 concerts

Twitter21 minutes
-- Could’ve attended: Karaoke

LinkedIn 21 minutes
-- Could’ve attended: 1 salsa dance class


Social media FOMO is forcing your teenager to see what others are doing 24/7. Use this information and rather encourage your teen to do things near where you live, work and play.

Comments